Mercury Removal in Fort Lee, NJ & Surrounding Area

As a holistic dental practice, we understand the negative impact that mercury, or amalgam, restorations can have on your oral health, not to mention your smile and self-image, as well. That’s why we offer mercury removal in Fort Lee, New Jersey, so that you can enjoy a healthy, attractive smile once again. Dr. Joel Singer is SMART (Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique) certified by the IAOMT, which ensures the safest and most effective mercury removal procedures possible.

7 Critical Facts You Must Know About Mercury and Your Health: Why Not Just Any Dentist Should Remove Your Old Silver or Mercury Fillings

“Silver” amalgam fillings are made up of 50% mercury. “Silver” amalgam fillings are made up of 50% mercury.

Mercury is the most TOXIC, non-radioactive element on earth. Mercury is the most TOXIC, non-radioactive element on earth.

Mercury vapor is dangerous because it is continuously emitted from dental fillings and accumulates in the body over time. Mercury vapor is dangerous because it is continuously emitted from dental fillings and accumulates in the body over time.

Mercury can harm the immune, cardiac, respiratory and digestive systems. Mercury can harm the immune, cardiac, respiratory and digestive systems.

Newborns may be at risk for learning disabilities because of mercury their mother absorbed during pregnancy. Newborns may be at risk for learning disabilities because of mercury their mother absorbed during pregnancy.

Mercury exposure has been linked to brain tissue damage similar to that seen in Alzheimer’s disease. Mercury exposure has been linked to brain tissue damage similar to that seen in Alzheimer’s disease.

Mercury fillings should only be removed by a dentist specifically trained and equipped for safe mercury removal to avoid further exposure Mercury fillings should only be removed by a dentist specifically trained and equipped for safe mercury removal to avoid further exposure

The Use of Mercury Amalgam Fillings in Dentistry

You may not realize that your dark, silver amalgam fillings are really made up of 50% mercury. In fact, a large filling may contain as much mercury as a thermometer. Mercury vaporizes easily in room temperature, and in this state, is odorless, colorless and tasteless. What’s more, inhaled mercury vapor is readily absorbed into the bloodstream. The World Health Organization has concluded that dental fillings contribute more mercury to a person’s body than all other sources of mercury combined. In short, Mercury is a powerful poison and published research demonstrates that mercury is more toxic than lead, cadmium or arsenic. No amount of mercury vapor should be considered harmless, especially considering its cumulative effect.

IS THERE A CONCERN ABOUT MERCURY IN DENTISTRY?

The Environmental Protection Agency of New Jersey has a treatise on the subject of mercury toxicity. They do recommend, however, that regarding its use in dentistry you should speak with your dentist. Since Mercury is the most toxic, non-radioactive element on the earth most medical and scientific researchers have called for a ban on the use of it in all products. The potentially harmful effects of mercury fillings, however, have been ignored by the U.S. Government. While many European countries have banned or curtailed the use of mercury in dental fillings, our country lags behind in the decision. Amalgam is a material that is over 150 years old, and there are more modern alternatives that can be considered.

IS THERE AN ASSOCIATED HEALTH RISK?

Due to its poisonous nature, mercury can adversely affect the immune, urinary, cardiac, respiratory and digestive systems. Under laboratory conditions, mercury has produced brain cell deterioration identical to that seen in people with Alzheimer’s disease. Mercury poisoning has been linked to serious health issues such as immune system depression, multiple sclerosis, depression, chronic fatigue syndrome and autism.

SHOULD I HAVE MY MERCURY FILLINGS REMOVED?

While the continuously emitted mercury vapor from dental fillings accumulates in the body over time, the damaging effects of this exposure may not manifest for years or even decades. Studies repeatedly show that even low levels of mercury cause measurable negative health effects. For example, Mercury in the tissues of a fetus or infant correlates significantly with the number of dental amalgam fillings in the mother. Due to these findings, many physicians are testing their patients for mercury toxicity and referring them to biological dentists. Across scientific disciplines, health professionals are realizing that mercury may adversely impact patient health.

IS THERE A PROPER WAY TO REMOVE MERCURY FILLINGS?

The good news is that there is a way to prevent additional mercury exposure for patients with amalgam fillings. A biologic dentist who is properly trained in the removal of mercury fillings will follow amalgam removal protocols that include:

  • Using an effective oral suction system to contain amalgam particles and limit mercury vapors
  • Operating a vacuum system at optimal efficiency
  • Applying ample amounts of water to the filling during removal
  • Removing large portions of the amalgam so as to minimize particulate and mercury vapor release
  • Providing a safe source of oxygen for the patient to breath during removal

Dental amalgam has been used in dental fillings for over 100 years, and some dentists still use it today. It is composed of a mixture of metals, including silver, mercury, tin, copper and other trace metals. Mercury may be released into your body in small amounts through amalgam fillings and can be harmful to your overall health. The alternative to amalgam fillings are composite fillings, which are free of mercury. Furthermore, composite restorations can actually help to strengthen the tooth structure while amalgam fillings often eventually lead to tooth fractures and cracks. Patients also enjoy composite dental fillings because they are more aesthetically pleasing. Amalgam dental fillings are noticeable because they are silver in color, while composite fillings are tooth-colored and blend in with your smile’s natural appearance.

We are dedicated to your health and do not use any materials or products that contain mercury. In addition, our dentist and team have been trained in safe dental amalgam removal, and we can often complete this treatment in just one office visit. For more information about amalgam removal and the benefits of mercury-free dentistry, we welcome you to call or visit us today. To schedule your appointment and learn more about safe mercury removal please call us at (201) 429-0097.

patient testimonials

EVERY PATIENT HAS A STORY

Dr. Singer and his staff are exceptional. So happy to have found this dental office !
Liridona Papraniku
Excellent Dr. and staff. I feel very comfortable in their care and appreciate the holistic approach they take to dentistry and not over recommending procedures, etc.
Gina Gugliotta
Kudos to Dr. Singer and his amazing staff! Professional and helpful are what makes them the best! I had my teeth and gums cleaned by Lily and the workmanship was first rate!
JAMES DE SOPO
Joel’s whole team is simply amazing. Joel is very talented and Every appointment is absolutely painless.I trust him!Lily does the cleaning and is also just great! She is thorough and such a pleasure!!
Melina Dinas
Friendly, professional staff. Very thorough. I'm glad I switched.
David Shibuya
Wonderful experience, as always! Lily is an excellent hygienist!
Danielle Shibuya
Dr. Singer and his staff were amazing.
Angel Pagan
Dr. Singer is a superior dentist with an outstanding staff. I’m thrilled to have found them and grateful for his skills and everyone’s kindness.
Rita Raftery
js_loader

(201) 429-0097

327 Bridge Plaza North
Fort Lee, NJ 07024