TMD And How To Help Jaw Discomfort
With what we have been going through over the past few months, it’s no wonder that everyone is under some form of stress, whether it be from homeschooling children, loss of a job, or even just the isolation of quarantine. If you have been suffering from discomfort in your jaw, severe headaches, or aching discomfort in your face, you may be feeling an overwhelming sense of anxiety or you may be dealing with another condition known as TMD.
Temporomandibular Disorder (TMD) is the disorder associated with the temporomandibular joint (TMJ), jaw muscles, and nerves of the face that have chronic discomfort. It is often difficult to pinpoint what causes a patient to have TMD; however, stress is one of the possible causes. When a patient is feeling stress, it causes the body to tense and the result of tightness can be felt in the jaw. Patients who have never felt or managed stress before are unsure of the new discomfort and how to manage it. Other possible causes of TMD can be:
- This is a condition in which a patient clenches, grinds, or mashes teeth together. This can happen at any time during the day, but is typically seen during sleep. The pressure caused by the clenching and grinding increases the likelihood of TMD symptoms.
- Arthritis does not just affect hands and feet, it is often commonly seen in the jaw region can also be a symptom of TMD, it can cause the jaw to lock in place and cause discomfort in the entire jaw area.
Being that there are numerous causes to TMD, and each case is a separate scenario, each patient may experience different symptoms such as:
- Popping or clicking sounds when opening and closing the jaw
- Unexplained headaches or migraines
- Jaw joints that seems frozen and difficult to open or close
- Difficulty or discomfort when eating and chewing
If you are located in the Fort Lee, NJ area and have been suffering with any of these symptoms, please call our office for an appointment to determine if you are in fact suffering with TMD. We offer many different treatment options and can work with you to find the right solution for you. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon.